Re: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

2006-02-14 (火) の 14:05 -0600 に Mike McCarty さんは書きました:
> As far as starting a new window or app, Linux is noticeably
> slower than WinXP on my machine.

Uhm, Linux is doing a lot more in the background than your WinXP
machine?

Fifteen, twenty years ago, people used to complain about how slow Macs
were compared to DOS boxes. I guess people didn't understand that an
environment in which a mouse could be accurately tracked requires
processor time and a little extra RAM and such. (Just like a lot of the
other things the Mac did that people didn't notice until MSW95 got sort
of close to being able to almost do the same things.)

Java is difficult to flatten to native code because the VM does a lot of
watching the byte-codes to keep them in line.

Linux maintains an _almost_ proper separation between userland and the
OS world, and that does take processor time and other resources.

I really think it must be the full moon out tonight.