Re: 64 Bit Kernels On 32 Bit Installs

Rejean Proulx writes:

This could well be a silly question, but I'm sure many would wonder the same thing. I have a 64 bit kernel but installed the 32 bit install. Can I put in a 64 bit kernel and will it still work?

Unlikely, without some major pain.

You have two choices now. Either spend a month, or so, messing around and trying to nurse this confused puppy to life; or spend a couple of hours salvaging whatever data you need, wiping clean, then doing a fresh, clean, 64-bit install (presuming your are running a 64 bit CPU).

Sometimes, it really pays to follow the path of least resistance.