Re: Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

Billy Tallis wrote:
> On 2/1/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>>memory to service 4 modems, two 8 serial port dickens terminal servers
>>>which had a collection of terminals, XT's and 286's running procomm. One
>>
>>What version of Linux did you use? I don't know of any which can run
>>in 16MB of RAM.
>

> I have a 16MB laptop with a 133Mhz pentium that can run Knoppix and
> DSL. Networking is easy with SLIP or PLIP.

I downloaded a version of Debian for a Stylistic 1000 tablet.
I was able to change things to run X on it. The only problem
I had was not being able to log in without a keyboard. I have
to go back and play with it one of these days to see if I can
get xvkbd to work with GDM. (I also want to get more RAM for it.)
The original image was built to turn the tablet into a firewall/
router/Access Point.

486 DX 100 CPU
16MB of RAM
350MB hard drive.