Re: Old 486 computer & external CD reader advice needed

Rickey Moore wrote:

Thomas Taylor <linxt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi All:

The bus structure is ISA with room for two cards.

not sure if it would work as the BIOS doesn't allow booting from anything except the floppy or hard drive.

How about installing to an old cast-off HD on another machine, and
then transfering that drive to this machine? Good ole 486 ought to run
faster with Linux on it than Winblows. I used a 486/66 with 16 megs of

This is a common misconception. Windows is often portrayed as a cycle
hog. Since doing benchmarks is one of my hobbies (I dunno why), I have
run benchmarks on about a dozen machines I own, with three or on some
even five different OS installed. Windows is not a cycle hog.

memory to service 4 modems, two 8 serial port dickens terminal servers
which had a collection of terminals, XT's and 286's running procomm. One

What version of Linux did you use? I don't know of any which can run
in 16MB of RAM.

day I had about 12 users on the terminals and all 4 modems lit up with
users, all playing in nightmare mud OS, and running editors, and I
cranked up Doom II on the server. It was slow as heck, but the fact that
it ran at all was pretty great! Enjoy dinking around with it!

There are several reasons to use "older" machines. All of my machines
are "older", but they serve my purposes. It's good to "recycle" and
keep those things going. I have no need to have the latest and fastest,
mostly, I guess, because I'm not a PC gamer. That seems to be the
driving force behind bigger and faster machines.

...the Sin of Ignorance, and ...the Sin of Stupidity.

Q: Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
A: I don't know, and I don't care.

Ignorance, like epoxy, can be cured.
There is no cure for stupidity.