Re: can't install vlc via yum

James Pifer wrote:
I suspect you may have repository conflicts. The only "unofficial" repo I use is my own, so someone else will have to help you out there.

Paul.

What makes a repo official or unofficial?

Probably endorsement by the Fedora Foundation.

Are the only official ones the ones that come standard?

Yes (though some are disabled by default).

Are you willing to send me your official repos

They're in the official fedora-release package. If you change the "--replacefiles --replacepkgs" options in the rpm command I gave earlier to "--oldpackage", you should get the official package.

or am I hosed because of the repos I have enabled right now?

You might need to disable some or all of the other repos, at least temporarily. You might also need to remove some existing packages that clash with ones from the repos you have left. The situation should certainly be recoverable though.

As a side note, what is the difference between vlc and videolan-client
anyway? Why does the vlc package require so many more dependencies than
videolan-client? Any idea?

Not me, I don't use either.

Paul.