Re: can't install vlc via yum

James Pifer wrote:
livna requires extras and won't work without it. Extras is enabled by default in FC4 so you should have it. The fedora-extras.repo file is included in the fedora-release package, so you could try reinstalling that:

# rpm -Uvh --replacefiles --replacepkgs \
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/fedora-release-4-2.noarch.rpm

Paul.

I get:
package fedora-release-4-2_3.rhfc4.at (which is newer than fedora-
release-4-2) is already installed

You've got the ATrpms version of the package. Perhaps that doesn't include the fedora-extras.repo file?

$ rpm -ql fedora-release

I think I did have extras before my last big yum update. At least I know
I never removed it and this was a base FC4 install.

I tried creating a fedora-extras.repo based on:
[extras]
name=Fedora Extras - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/$releasever/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/RPM-
GPG-KEY-Fedora-Extras

When I try to install vlc I still get similar results:

I suspect you may have repository conflicts. The only "unofficial" repo I use is my own, so someone else will have to help you out there.

Paul.