Re: can an access point connect through an access point?

> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 07:42, Claude Jones wrote:
> > >
> > > A switch or hub is simply a connection point on a single network. No
> > > bridging or routing is involved.
> > Here's where my knowledge tells me different. I thought a switch did do some
> > simple routing. Doesn't a switch "remember" destinations that are on the
> > local subnet, and build up tables, only routing signal through that are not
> > destined for the local destination?
>
> The distinction is fuzzy because there are some expensive devices
> called 'layer 3 switches' that understand IP addresses and can
> do some routing and filtering based on them.  However what is
> normally called a switch works at the network layer 2, using
> only ethernet MAC addresses.  They learn the hardware addresses
> of the connected devices as packets are sent from them and once
> a destination is known they will only forward packets to that
> destination out the correct port.  However, they flood broadcast,
> multicast, and unknown MAC destinations to all ports so the
> filtering is transparent.  They don't know anything about
> IP addresses or subnets, though - this is all using the
> hardware address built into every ethernet device.

There are also certain types of hardware switches which can service more
than one kind of network topology. They tend to share a common, very
high-speed backplane and then use cards to handle one topology or
another. These types of switches do something called translational
bridging. You can *almost* think of this as routing at layer 2 because
you get some of the benefits, including rebuilding packets based on
topology, but you are still truly in the world of switching.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Never murder a man when he's