Re: Looking for a database

Paul Smith wrote:
On 1/29/06, David Cary Hart <Fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Could someone please recommend a nice and well documented database
program for a person who has never used a database?

You haven't stated your goals. There are two parts.

A. I find the simplest and fastest DB to be MySQL.

B. There are only four or five PHP functions that you need to learn to create
browser based queries. It is surprisingly simple. Do one and you have a
template that you can use over and over again.

I only want a database for managing my own data, and I do not intend
to access it from Internet.

Meanwhile, I learned that Kexi also has the driver for postgresql.
Kexi seems quite fast, but the version on extras repositories is
rather old.

Postgresql still not working:

$ createdb mydb
createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  role
"psmith" does not exist
[psmith@localhost Desktop]$

Any ideas?

Paul

I assume that you are logged in as psmith when you get that error.
Postgresql have its own user/role names, but guesses that there is a user named psmith, as this is your Linux login. If you haven't created the user psmith in the database engine as well, you get the error above.

To fix it:
log in as root
su - postgres
createuser psmith

Then create the database using:
createdb -O psmith mydb

If that doesn't work make sure that postgres is running by doing /etc/init.d/postgresql status
if not run /etc/init.d/postgresql start to start it. Then try again.

You should also check out your $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf to make sure that the database is
accessible from the right places, and by the right users.

Regards
Uno Engborg