Re: Looking for a database

Paul Smith wrote:
On 1/29/06, Thomas Springer <th.springer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
$ postgres
postgres does not know where to find the server configuration file.
You must specify the --config-file or -D invocation option or set the
PGDATA environment variable.
$

I guess I have not configured the server. How can I do that? Or where
can I find appropriate documentation?
You asked for a well documented dbms, right?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/index.html

What RPMs have you installed? Did you use yum and fc-repos?

To start|stop the backend as root:
# service postgresql start|stop
Start|Stop when booting in runlevel 5:
# chkconfig --level 5 postgresql on|off
To start as postgres
% export PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/data
% pg_ctl start 1> /var/lib/pgsql/postmaster.log 2>&1 &
In homedir of postgres you will find a logfile from the initdb.
Have a look, it tells you how to start
To stop as postgres
% pg_ctl stop -w
See pg_ctl --help
To connect to backend there is a nice command:
% psql template1
See psql --help

Thanks, Thomas.

Paul

Note that the database "template1" is the database that is used as templates when you create other databases in the future. So, only add things that all your databases should have. This is a good place to install languages for stored procedures.

Regards
Uno Engborg