Re: FC4 - File System with Errors!

Jeff Vian wrote:

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 20:21 -0800, Hoffmann wrote:
--- Peter Arremann <loony@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Saturday 28 January 2006 19:37, Hoffmann wrote:
Hello:

I realized that since the beginning of the week,
during the booting process, I have got the follow
error:

/1. Contains a file system with errors, check
forced.
In the majority of the times, after that error,
the
system restarts normally.
Why are you gettting that so often? You should only
get the file system check only if your system crashes or you power it off without a proper shutdown. Either that, or your disk is going bad.

However, one day, it didn't work, and I needed to cut the power off manually.
That fixed the issue? I'm surprised. You should have
used fsck to check your filesystem completely.
What does that error mean? Should I reinstall
Fedora,
just in case?
Either your system wasn't shut down properly or your
harddisk is dying...

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I just used fsck to check my filesystem, and I got no
error.

What do you think?

It seems like I am alright, so?

If this is happening on a frequent basis and you cannot otherwise
identify why, it could be a drive failing.

Use hdparm to test it and find out what has already been logged on the
drive for errors.
Try the SMART tools, such as smartctl.  man smartctl.

Bob...