Re: New drive already has vfat after new fdisk

On 1/26/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nat Gross wrote:
>
> > ok. just ran mkfs on sda1, sda2, sda3.
> > Now, I notice this line in /etc/fstab:
> > /dev/sda1               /media/usbdisk          vfat
> > pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,managed 0 0
> >
> > It seems like FC4 decided to that for me earlier, since this is a usb device.
> > Anhow, do I need all those options (for the new mounts)?
>
> Assuming this is the only removable, autodetected filesystem that is
> around at the moment, try removing the drive, doing this:
>
> fstab-sync --clean
>
> and then inserting the drive again.
Follow up:
I cycled the power anyhow. (in spite of the sync error.)
power up and voila! Three drive icons on the desktop.
# cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=extraData         /usr/extraData          ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sda1               /media/usbdisk          ext3
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sda2               /media/usbdisk1         ext3
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sda3               /media/usbdisk2         ext3
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

So, now the question is. Since this is some kind of auto thingamajig,
can I still mount these partitions anywhere, say in /opt or
/usr/share, whatever?
Btw, I used ext2 on the 1, ext3 on 2 and 3. But fstab lists all as ext3.
Thanks and thanks and...
-nat