Re: New drive already has vfat after new fdisk

On 1/26/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nat Gross wrote:
>
> > What I fail to understand is that I expect to have 3 partitions.
>
> When you change the partition table with fdisk you only wrote back
> usually one sector of data at the beginning of the drive, everything
> else was left as it was before.  That's why it was suspiciously quick if
> you assumed it was writing 200GB :-)
>
> Your new partition table, and the old one that you overwrote, both
> decided to start the first partition at the same place in the underlying
> storage.  Therefore for the special case of /dev/sda1, your new,
> "unformatted" partition lined up perfectly with the first 190GB or
> whatever it was of the as-yet not overwritten VFAT filesystem from the
> factory that was living in the original first partition.  Until it tried
> to write to the end of it, which you used up on your other two
> partitions, it looks like a perfectly fine VFAT filesystem in there.
>
> > Can I just unmount and mkfs? What about sda2 and sda3? Where are they?
>
> Yep.
>
> umount /dev/sda1   <--- thanks to Terry :-)
> mkfs.ext2 -j /dev/sda1

ok. just ran mkfs on sda1, sda2, sda3.
Now, I notice this line in /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1               /media/usbdisk          vfat
pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,managed 0 0

It seems like FC4 decided to that for me earlier, since this is a usb device.
Anhow, do I need all those options (for the new mounts)?
Thank you all;
-nat