Re: Installing on an AMD K6-2-350

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 08:05:58PM -0500, fredex wrote:
 > > I have an ancient machine that ran FC1 just fine.
 > > However, now when I boot from the installation CD (1), and enter
 > >   linux text
 > > the system reboots itself.
 > >
 > > I can't get out of this loop.
 > >
 > > Should I discard the computer, or is there some magic boot parameter that
 > > might work?
 > > Or some alternate solution, since floppys are too small.
 >
 > I have a vague recollection that late-model Fedoras require a P-II
 > or later. If that's true, then you're out of luck, as the K6-2 is
 > a Pentium clone, not a P2 or P3 clone.

Not true.
We still have a 586 kernel, which is used for AMD K5/K6, Old Cyrix,
Early VIA, and original (Pre-MMX) Pentium.

Trying to run openoffice on one of these is going to bring you
a world of hurt, but it should at least install and be usable
for low-end workloads.

Rawhide installation may be a very painful right now too, as the dependancy
resolving part of package installation is very CPU intensive[*], and eats
gobs of RAM. Lots of 586 era machines typically didn't have a great deal of
RAM, so they may need some extra hoop-jumping like enabling swap early
from the 2nd tty during install.

I missed the original posting in this thread, but I'm curious which
release the original poster was trying to install. It *could* be
that he was hitting a known bug like the FC4 bug that required you
to boot with garbage on the boot command line (as soon as the CD
boots, type 'fhwghgads' or the like, wait for it to say "unknown image"
or the like, and then type 'linux text'.

		Dave

[*] I recently resurrected a 4-way 200MHz Pentium Pro. It took about 10
minutes to resolve dependancies. I dread to think what it'll be like
on a Pentium 90, or worse, an AMD K5.  Jeremy knows about this, and has
had "SPEED" scribbled on his whiteboard for a while. It should be fixed
for FC5 final.