Re: Problem with partitioning -- How to format hard drive and reinstall Windows?

Tim:
> But you can always use the Linux fdisk program (on the rescue disc, at
> least) to wipe out the partition information on the drive, so the
> installer treats the drive as blank.

peter wu:
> Thanks Tim for your reply. I guess recovering partitions (option 1)
> won't be easily done. Your suggestions to ptions 2 & 3 don't work.
> I've tried those methods, but failed. My question was how to use the
> Ultimate Boot CD to do those. Thanks!

I'd suggest you'd need to find out where *it* is supported then, for
support with *it*.  You're only likely to get generic advice elsewhere.

However, I'm yet to see a case where Linux's own fdisk program can't
reset partition information on a disk.  And there's plenty of anecdotal
evidence that using one thing to partition a disk, then another thing
(such as the installer) again, leads to problems.

There are other tools, like Zapdisk, that can erase the first part of a
drive so that another tool gets a fresh start at configuring partitions.

Granted that you might have problems with some tools and SATA drives.
They're quite new, and you've got to be able to access the disk through
the hardware, first, before you can do things to it.

I read messages from the public lists.