Re: Portscan on an unaddressed sniffing interface

tholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi folks:

I have an odd request -

I need to do some sort of scan on an unaddressed sniffing interface on a
SNORT box to test the installation to see if it is all working right.  I
have a port scanner on my UBUNTU laptop that I could use if I knew how
to address the port.

The management interface on the box (it's a FC4 box) is 192.168.0.28 and
that's eth1

The unaddressed port is eth0 on the same box

Any suggestions would be most welcome

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11
Esther 4:14
Check out nmap using the MAC address of the port you want to scan. It be able to do the port scan using just the MAC address. This is from reading the man page so good luck.

Cheers,
Dave