FC4 restore process killed, out of memory

I have a 40GB dump file of a ext3 partition that I am trying to
restore.  restore works for a while and then gets killed by the kernel
oom.  I have 1GB swap and 512MB ram.  I tried bumping ram to 1GB but
get the same results.  I also tried in single user mode.  I also tried
from tape and from another partition.  Can anyone suggest something
else to try?  I'm thinking of adding another drive to add more swap.

Thanks,

Dale