pda frustration

i've been using linux for over 10 years now. one of the single most
frustrating aspects of the OS is how difficult it is to get a PDA to
sync. i'm not sure why but every time i re-install fedora (or red hat
when i was using that distro), the thing that caused me the most grief
was the pda.

and now - after so many years - i'm working with FC4 thinking "surely
they've figured it out by now". well, they haven't. syncing a sony clie
is still a nightmare. i can't get it to work and i'm about to tell
myself my days with a pda are pretty much over.

so does anyone know why such amazing developers within the Linux
community can't seem to make syncing a pda a simple task?

just curious.

and if anyone has had any luck getting an out of box FC4 to sync with a
sony i'd much appreciate any help.

--
\||/       jack wallen, jr
 00        www.monkeypantz.net