Re: Installing an uptodate Fedora on a 2nd machine

Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 13:39 +0100, fergus wrote:

I've got the Fedora FC3 installation DVD and (after regular use of
up2date, always saving the rpm's) a mass of *.rpm and *.hdr residing
in /var/spool/up2date. (Approx 640+ *.rpm and 2300+ *.hdr.)

Suppose I want to use the DVD to install FC3 on a 2nd machine. To save
an expensive and very time-consuming repeat of up2date, can anybody tell
me how to use the contents of /var/spool/up2date (and anything else) to
make the installation on the 2nd machine as up to date as that on the
1st, _and_also_ then use an "aware" up2date -- ie. knowledgable of the
updates that have already taken place -- for subsequent updates?

(Eg, but probably not, copy /var/spool/update/* to a CD, and then on
Machine 2
	rpm -U /mnt/cdrom/*.rpm
maybe?)

Move kernels into another directory, they're best installed selectively,
and should be installed not updated (in addition to the current kernel,
instead of replacing it).

Doing a wildcard update can install things that you haven't initially
installed.  A better option is to "freshen" RPMs.  This updates what's
installed on a system, but doesn't install anything new.

Read the RPM man file.  If I tried to give you a series of steps, I'd
probably mislead you.  But I've done this before, pretty much as you've
described.

If there's an awful lot of updating to be done, I'd done it in batches.
e.g. I'd do all the X stuff, then move their install RPMs into a "done"
directory, and carry on installing other things.  My system didn't seem
to cope to well with trying to manage updating everything in one hit.

Just to note, I've actually simply copied the /var/spool/update/ to the new PC and simply run up2date. It still goes to the net to check for new files, but didn't download the ones already in the spool directory.

YMMV,

Regards,
Ed.
begin:vcard
fn:Edward Dekkers
n:Dekkers;Edward
org:Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.;Management
adr:;;822 Rowley Road;Oakford;WA;6121;Australia
email;internet:edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Mr.
tel;work:(08) 9397-1040
tel;fax:(08) 9397-0749