Re: fedora boot problem (grub?)

>>> I would have thought this error message meant the machine
>>> was not reading the MBR,
>>> and that the solution lay in the BIOS settings.
>>
>> That message is displayed by the MBR.
>
> Are you sure?
> I thought I got this message when my disk was dead.
> I assumed it was provided by the BIOS.

Yes, the bios on this system was pointing at a scsi raid controller
and could not be set to anything else in the bios (other than
booting the floppy or CD).  The raid controller could not be
configured (Adaptec FastRaid controller : no driver - no config
util).  If there was one disk, it did not matter but I had installed
a second disk.  After the 2nd disk was pulled, the problem was
solved. (well, the problem moved to something else)

alex.