Re: Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> There is no way but the one true way and developers are its prophets.
> It should have been easy for me to get rid of
> vim's awful colors and its automatic indentation.
> That said, too much automation can be a security hazard.

Hang on: you're making some good points about user-friendliness, but
you're seriously using *vim* as an example?

Don't get me wrong: it's a great editor, and I'm typing this into it
now. But it's *not* aimed at the average user: it's aimed at people who
know how vi works or want to learn. That really does include knowing a
bit about Unix. In other words, I *do* think it's reasonable for vim's
developers to expect users to know that per-user configuration for a
program foo might just be held in ~/.foorc .

And are
syntax off
and
set noai
*so* difficult to find out about? set [no]ai is there in plain and
standard vi, for goodness' sake!

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Five miles as the hippopotamus bounces...
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |