Re: OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

Guy Fraser wrote:
On Wed, 2005-28-09 at 14:26 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

Guy Fraser wrote:

[snip]

As for Resumes, my organization prefers to receive them either printed or via email in ascii text format. But we are an IT company not a publishing company. We consider the content to be more important that the esoteric appearance. Many other organizations take the opposite stance and want the esoterically presented Word Document, and consider a well done presentation as a sign of attention to detail. I would prefer to not receive a Word document and if I was unable to open it in OO, I would either file

OO opens it. And edits it. But when I try to save it, OO
gives a warning. Odd?

I always took this to be boilerplate for saving in non-native formats. The warning says it's *possible* that by not saving in native OOo format, you will lose special features of OOo that are not available in Word format. That's not surprising, but if your documents are simple, it's not a huge risk.

You get the same warning saving in ASCII format. Not too surprising there either.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu