Re: OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

> I'm not a documentation expert, and don't want to become one.
> I'm a software developer. I've used Word, Frame, and several
> other systems for writing documentation on various pieces of
> software, but I'm more interested in being expert at writing
> software than being expert at using Word etc. But I do recognize
> their value.
>
> I like plain ASCII text, myself. But diagrams in documents
> can go a long way in helping understand how a complicated
> piece of software works (like a multi-processor debugger
> I wrote a few years ago: two separate programs, five
> threads communicating via messages). Nice diagrams are difficult
> with ASCII text :-)

PDF allows diagrams.
dia can help you produce them.

> Hey, I don't even like HTML in mail messages!

Likewise.
On my FC3, man dia produces HTML for some reason.
I googled to find http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/ .

--
Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"No one seems to know what distinguishes a bell from a whistle."