Re: New: apropos2, an improved apropos command

At 8:44 PM -0700 9/14/05, Chris Grau wrote:

>This looks like a pretty useful program to me, even if for nothing else
>than to avoid all the extra grep commands, as you mention in the man
>page for apropos2.  I can see myself getting some use out of this.

Good to hear.  Let me know if you have any difficulty with it.  Actually,
I'd like to hear from users that are successful with it, so I get some
confidence that it is OK.

>The RPM and spec file look pretty good.  I'd like to see this make it
>into Fedora Extras.  At quick glance, the only changes the spec file
>would need are,
>
>- release tag should be 1 or 1%{?dist}, but I can see why the release
>  tag is what it is for the purposes of this post;

I think you are referring to the release being 1_GAN?  The problem with
release tags is that RPM considers releases from different sources to be
comparable.  If you build an RPM from mine and give it release 3, as the
next release, and then someone else does the same to your rpm and gives it
release 4, and I do to my own RPM and give it release 3, RPM will happily
compare the the release numbers as if it made sense to do so.  Note that a
few of the Fedora packages have "_FC3" or "_FC4" at the end of their
release tag.

>- build root should be
>  %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n);

I take it you want the release to be part of the build root path?

I hadn't thought of using the username in the build root, as I'm using a
local build setup.

>- Source should be Source0.

Hmm.  Well, OK.  According to the RPM docs, Source and Source0 are equivalent.