Re: OT: Broken BIOS defaults

James Wilkinson wrote:
david walcroft wrote:

I'm getting curious about this as it appears at every reboot,what does it affect (if anything) and do I need to fix it.

reddwarf kernel: it87: Found IT8705F chip at 0x290, revision 2
reddwarf kernel: it87 1-0290: Detected broken BIOS defaults, disabling PWM interface

A quick Google suggests PWM can control fan speed on certain system
fans, based on temperature.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/1/12/262 says:

... completely disables
the fan speed control interface if the initial configuration looks weird
(all fans supposedly stopped and polarity set to "active low"). This
should protect users of the driver who have a faulty BIOS.

In other words, it keeps the fans going on full so you don't overheat.
The message continues:

When a bogus configuration is detected, we would of course complain in
the logs and invite the user to complain to his/her motherboard maker
too.

So that's what you're supposed to do. Do you have the latest BIOS?

James.

HI, The BIOS is ver.F15 Award,the fans (case and cpu)seem to be temperature controlled after watching them via ksensors.It seems possible that the boot message is spurious and actually has no effect on the BIOS settings if PWM is the control i/f.

  thanks  david