Re: OT: Broken BIOS defaults

david walcroft wrote:
> I'm getting curious about this as it appears at every reboot,what does
> it affect (if anything) and do I need to fix it.
>
> reddwarf kernel: it87: Found IT8705F chip at 0x290, revision 2
> reddwarf kernel: it87 1-0290: Detected broken BIOS defaults, disabling
> PWM interface

A quick Google suggests PWM can control fan speed on certain system
fans, based on temperature.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/1/12/262 says:
> ... completely disables
> the fan speed control interface if the initial configuration looks weird
> (all fans supposedly stopped and polarity set to "active low"). This
> should protect users of the driver who have a faulty BIOS.

In other words, it keeps the fans going on full so you don't overheat.
The message continues:

> When a bogus configuration is detected, we would of course complain in
> the logs and invite the user to complain to his/her motherboard maker
> too.

So that's what you're supposed to do. Do you have the latest BIOS?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "If you make everything a life and death proposition
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | you're going to have problems.  For one thing, you'll