Re: Securing FC 4

<quote who="cromworshipper-fedorastuff@xxxxxxxxx">

> --- AragonX <aragonx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> I've gotten some very good information off of the security lists though.
>> Perhaps I should copy it here so that others could benefit?
>
> Yes, please.
>
> What was the weak point that allowed an intrusion on your machine?  I'd
> like
> to know what I should watch out for...

<another copy from focuslinux>

I would recommend also securing /tmp (and /var/tmp). Mounting it noexec
and nosuid is a good step to take. As well, I modified my local wget and
curl programs to *not* download to /tmp or /var/tmp, as no legitimate
use for the program (on my servers) will be downloading files to these
locations. As well, these two programs are commonly used in web script
attacks to retrieve a remote file and execute it.

As well, install and run regularly (via cron) chkrootkit and rootkit
hunter. You should not rely solely on these programs, but they provide a
nice check that can assist you in finding some of the more common and
known intrusions/rootkits.

-Sean Finkel
Owner
Protollix, LLC