Re: to yum or apt

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 11:25 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
Richard Emberson wrote:

In the past I've used synaptic (which uses apt). Now that I've just upgraded to FC4, the question I've got is should I switch over to use the Yum Extender?
Will packages available to yum users also be available to apt users?
Does yumex assure that all dependencies are satisfied before doing an install?
Haven't tried yumex (yet), just plain yum, but that does make sure everything is right wrt. dependencies etc.

Yes; in fact yum doesn't have provide options to break dependencies,
unlike rpm itself.

Apart from that, the way I understand it, apt and yum now use exactly the same "repository" data, i.e. a yum-enabled distribution directory will also work with apt and vice versa. If it uses the current repository format, that is; there used to be different, incompatible formats, then both tools were updated to support a common standard.

I've not heard of any version of apt that can use repo data from any
version of yum.

Up2date though, can handle old and new yum metadata plus apt metadata.
Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?
No, I'm thinking of

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/metadata/

As you can see, what you call "new yum metadata" is not really that; it's more like "new common metadata", i.e. a format that supposed to be common to yum, apt, up2date and some others, too.

Now, I assumed that the new format is supported in current apt clients as well as yum, but I haven't actually tested.

- Toralf