Re: SHRED for EXT3?

Damian Menscher wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

Damian Menscher wrote:

[snip]

My first thought when seeing this thread a few days ago was:
   remount as ext2; shred files; remount as ext3
I'm fairly certain that meets DoD standards.

DOD standard is probably beyond what I need. Umm, how
does one unmount/remount one's root?

Simplest method: modify your /etc/fstab to say ext2 instead of ext3, then reboot. It will then mount it without using the journal. (The method the other poster gave, of using tune2fs to remove the journal, may or may not work on an ext3 filesystem mounted read/write.) After you've wiped the data, change /etc/fstab back to ext3 and reboot.

Thanks, that's useful info.

Presumably, you have never heard of the Watergate Tapes and the
"erased" tapes which were later recovered.

Accidental erasure with a single pass with non-random data to cover a signal that is highly redundant is hardly a comparison. DoD standards

Whether it was accidental seems to be a debatable point :-)
Whether it was single pass *also* seems to be a debatable point :-)
I happen to remember some of the debate.

C Language source files are significantly non-random data.

Are you an expert in data recovery or data obliteration?

[snip]

How much is their data worth? Probably not that much, or they wouldn't have let you take it home. So delete it to the point that it would no longer pay to recover it. If it is no longer worth recovering, it has been effectively deleted.

At a guess, it has over 2000 man years into it. It is in a very
competitive industry (health care related).

Mike