Re: SHRED for EXT3?

Damian Menscher wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Michael Hennebry wrote:

I think something like this will come close.

lots of random writes
tune2fs -O ^has_journal device
shred shreddees
tune2fs -O  has_journal device

My first thought when seeing this thread a few days ago was:
   remount as ext2; shred files; remount as ext3
I'm fairly certain that meets DoD standards.

DOD standard is probably beyond what I need. Umm, how
does one unmount/remount one's root?

Not sure why there's so much discussion here....

I think it's because there is a significant issue, and not much
real information.

BTW, you will be amused to hear I wiped a drive for someone a few years ago via the (wipe|shred) /dev/hda method. 25 passes of patterns and random data. No way any government could get that data back. Doubtful

Presumably, you have never heard of the Watergate Tapes and the
"erased" tapes which were later recovered.

that aliens could get it either. And the person still keeps the drive in a secure location. Yes, some people are paranoid.

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to
get you."

As I pointed out earlier, *my* interest is (almost) purely ethical.

Mike