Re: Boot from memory-stick?

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> I used to use something called BOOT.SYS in combination with BOOTLIN.COM,
> a windows 95 device driver and an MS-DOS program that you could use in
> your CONFIG.SYS file to present a menu to boot from.  The top of my
> CONFIG.SYS file used to look like this:
>
>> DEVICE  = C:\DRIVERS\BOOT.SYS /T5
>>
>> DEVICE  = BOOT.1 LINUX
>> SHELL   = C:\COMMANDS\BOOTLIN.COM C:\LINUX\VMLINUZ
>>
>> DEVICE  = BOOT.2 OLD LINUX
>> SHELL   = C:\COMMANDS\BOOTLIN.COM C:\LINUX\VMLINUZ.OLD
>>
>> DEVICE  = BOOT.3 NEW LINUX
>> SHELL   = C:\COMMANDS\BOOTLIN.COM C:\LINUX\VMLINUZ.NEW
>>
>> DEVICE  = BOOT.4 MS-DOS
>> BUFFERS = 20
>> FILES   = 40

Is that what the OP wanted?

Personally, I would just like to know if anyone has used a memory stick
in the same way as one can use a CD, after running "mkbootdisk --iso ..."
and burning the ISO image onto the CD.

Can one just say something like "mkbootdisk --device /mnt/memstick ..."?
Is that likely to work?
(I can't try this on my Sony Picturebook laptop,
since I can't boot from USB.
But I'm interested to know how I would do it if I could!)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366