Re: Boot from memory-stick?

Mike McCarty wrote:
Fritz Whittington wrote:

On or about 2005-07-25 03:45, Paul Howarth whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Monkey Pet wrote:

[that he wants a multi-boot system]

An even better solution requires no extra floppies, CD's or even a USB memory stick. Just install GRUB on the BR of the boot *partition* (not in the MBR), copy the usual boot loader code from the partition, install it on the C: drive as a file, and add the option to your C:\boot.ini file. Easy instructions are at:
http://board.iexbeta.com/lofiversion/index.php/t47038.html

I use this myself under Windows 2000 to boot Linux, and it works great.

That is the way I boot from XP. But you do presume. This will
not work with Windows 95 or Windows 98, for example. It will
work with Windows NT.

I used to use something called BOOT.SYS in combination with BOOTLIN.COM, a windows 95 device driver and an MS-DOS program that you could use in your CONFIG.SYS file to present a menu to boot from. The top of my CONFIG.SYS file used to look like this:

DEVICE  = C:\DRIVERS\BOOT.SYS /T5

DEVICE  = BOOT.1 LINUX
SHELL   = C:\COMMANDS\BOOTLIN.COM C:\LINUX\VMLINUZ

DEVICE  = BOOT.2 OLD LINUX
SHELL   = C:\COMMANDS\BOOTLIN.COM C:\LINUX\VMLINUZ.OLD

DEVICE  = BOOT.3 NEW LINUX
SHELL   = C:\COMMANDS\BOOTLIN.COM C:\LINUX\VMLINUZ.NEW

DEVICE  = BOOT.4 MS-DOS
BUFFERS = 20
FILES   = 40

It should work from Windows-98 too. Of course, I switched to LILO and then GRUB when they became available....

Of course, not having used them in years, I have no idea if they are still available, and even if they are, I don't know if they will still work with Fedora kernels or initrds....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx