Re: YUM Config File

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 13:01 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:47:04 -0600, David Mamanakis wrote:
>
> > This list is exceedingly helpful!
> > I am a new user (well, duh) to Linux, as far as it goes...and I just have
> > several questions when it comes to installing and configuring the OS to my
> > preference...
> >
> > My next question regards the YUM config files...
> > I am looking for how to set one up so that I can install things like Xine,
> > Superkaramba, and other programs.
> >
> > I tried installing Superkaramba, but I ended going around in circles...
> > Superkaramba wanted KDEBASE, KDEBASE wanted KDELIBS, KDELIBS wanted
> > KDEADDONS, and KDEADDONS wanted KDEBASE...
>
> Note that plain "rpm" can install multiple packages at once, thus
> solving circular dependencies as well. E.g.
>
>   rpm -ivh filename1 filename2 filename3

Yum is supposed to resolve and install all the dependencies, or refuse
to update/install.  It certainly had done it for me for quite some time.
eg.   "yum install superkaramba"  will resolve all the dependencies and
ask if you approve before it actually does the install.

The ANSWER to his question is "you need to add the repositories
containing what you are trying to install."  The repo files are
in /etc/yum.repos.d and each identifies a repository and the criteria
used.

Look for where the files are coming from (livna, fresh RPMS, dag, etc.),
and setup a .repo file for that repository.  After you do the install I
suggest you NOT leave most extra repos enabled because some will cause
conflicts with others.  Many sites have sample repo files you can use
for their packages.

For some things I use Livna, for most I use Dag, and at times I use
others.  The key here is all have a yum repository and the "site.repo"
file needs to be created for it and put into /etc/yum.repos.d.