Re: YUM Config File

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 22:47 -0600, David Mamanakis wrote:

> My next question regards the YUM config files...
> I am looking for how to set one up so that I can install things like Xine,
> Superkaramba, and other programs.

For above, especially if using FC4, look in /etc/yum.repos/ dir and
there you can see what comes with that distro version.  If they are
enabled ( =1 ), then that repository will be used.  If they are disabled
( =0 ) then make it a 1 and that will enable it.  You can copy one of
the ones in there and change the settings to reflect a new repository if
their site doesn't have one itself.

> I tried installing Superkaramba, but I ended going around in circles...
> Superkaramba wanted KDEBASE, KDEBASE wanted KDELIBS, KDELIBS wanted
> KDEADDONS, and KDEADDONS wanted KDEBASE...
>
> I couldn't install it.

Because Superkaramba (if I remember) is a theme of some kind for KDE.
So therefore, you need KDE installed for it to work.

> I am hoping that I can install Superkaramba and other programs by using YUM,
> like I can do with Xine...

I would think, that you may be able to download Superkaramba, then try
"yum localinstall /path/to/Superkaramba".  Yum will go to install it,
and if it has dependencies, it should check the repositories that you
have enabled to satisfy dependencies that you need and install them for
you.

Hope this helps,

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Everything is always harder, before it's easier!