Re: DHCP with static nodes

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 22:14, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on how to setup DHCP where
> some devices on the network are left static (or given the same IP all
> the time)?  Our network consists of several printers and other devices
> that are linked by IP, so having them changed every so often will just
> create headaches for all.

The easiest thing to do is to allocate a portion of your address space
on the LAN for static addressed devices.  Then configure static
addresses on those printers and servers that will not be changing.
Those devices that need DHCP get addresses allocated from the pool
configured for that purpose.

You can configure DHCP to allocate specific addresses based on the MAC
address of the device.  But why bother?  IMHO it just makes more work to
use DHCP for devices that really should be statically defined in the
first place.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Modern man is the missing link between apes and human beings.