Re: FC4 rpm not working properly

Mike McCarty wrote:
Alexander Apprich wrote:

Hi Rodrigo,

Rodrigo López Negrete wrote:

[that he had a problem with rpm install scripts]

try the following...

1. (re)move /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*
2. rpm --rebuilddb

Is the rm necessary? I've used rpm --rebuilddb before,
and it seemed to do the job.

Depends on how screwed up the database files are.  For safety sake,
delete them.

Had the same problem after installing FC4, but I had this problem ever
since RH8.0 every now and then.

Hmm. Are there known defects with rpm?

No, it's a long standing issue with dbm (which manages the database
files).  Why it hasn't been fixed yet is beyond me, but I suspect that
it's difficult to reproduce on demand.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-         The world is coming to an end ... SAVE YOUR FILES!!!       -