Re: Problem compiling kernel

Martin Carlsson wrote:

> Im using kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3. But I have tried compiling under
> different kernels from 2.6.9.

It's quite difficult to work out what you are talking about
when you top-post.

> The hpc directory is there because the kernel is patched with openMosix
> support.

So you are getting kernel errors with a patch you have added?
Wouldn't it be more logical to say there was something wrong with the patch,
rather than the kernel?

> Ive tried an unpatched kernel too but then I just get other
> errors. Note that all this is working great under Debian.

There is almost no connection between the distribution
and compilation of "virgin" kernels, I would have thought.
In any case, why not say what errors you get with the unpatched kernel?

> Its the "make
> dep" part that fails. "make modules" and "make modules_install" is working
> fine. "make bzImage" isnt woring either. The source is from kernel.org,
> yes.

You don't actually have to say "make dep" with recent (2.6.*) kernels.
You also don't need to say "make bzImage" or even "make all";
just "make" will do (followed by "make modules_install" and "make install").

> I've checked the comm.o file too at the line specified but there is just a
> plain "}" without the quotes at that line. Something is very fishy here.
> Anyways, I tried compiling the bzImage under debain and copying it to my
> fedora system but that doesnt work either, the system just hangs :(

You'd have to copy "initrd*.img" too,
as well as the files under /lib/modules/<version>/ .

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366