Re: Evolution Data Server crashing problem

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 17:01 -0400, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have somehow gotten my Gnome session confused. I don't know how it
> happened so I can't write a coherent bug report about it.
> I am running FC3 and my situation is that whenever I log in to my main
> account, evolution-data-server dies. Sometimes it keeps on dying
> repeatedly when I dismiss the error dialog. Sometimes the crashing is
> triggered by accessing it via the date/time/calandar/todo-list popup or
> just opening Evolution.
> The weird thing is my Evolution client and clock/calandar toolbar popup
> works ... sometimes. There is the odd time where Evolution would come up
> and none of my email folders show up. After closing it down and
> triggering the error by using the clock/calandar toolbar popup, usually
> my folders show up when I start Evo again. Also, the clock stops working
> sometimes.
>
> I think what is happening is that my gnome session is trying to start up
> two separate instances of evo-data-server for both my clock popup and
> evolution mail client and they are clobbering one another. I have no
> idea where to find where e-d-s is spawned and respawned on crashing. I
> have not seen and bug reports and googling around didn't reveal much for
> me so I suspect that it is an isolated event due to some freak session
> saving glitch.
>
> Could someone please give me some pointers as to where the session info
> is saved for a particular user and what mechanism is responsible to
> respawning e-d-s when it dies?
> I suspect that this problem would persist through an uninstall/reinstall
> of evo + e-d-s .
> Moving to a whole new login and fresh environment would likely work but
> I suspect there is an easier way to clear this up.
>
> Thanks,
> /Mike

Mike,

I cannot provide much info, other than me too.  I see the data server
crashing occasionally too.  I've seen it happen more often when
accessing the calendar.

I am using connector and attributed to back-end problems connecting to
our Exchange Server.  I rarely see it at home connecting to my IMAP
server.

Bob...