Re: Can't add or remove packages in FC4

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

I'm running FC 4 with the latest kernel.
My desire was to have the ability to input Japanese, but before I can even get to that, I have a more fundamental problem. When I went to Desktp | System Settings | Add/Remove Packages to install multilingual support, and selected the languages that I wanted to isntall, it said I had to install iiimf drivers first. I went on to the web to see if I could download these drivers, but despite finding information about them on Red Hat's site for Fedora, it wasn't as simple as finding an RPM and downloading it.

In any case, I later decided that I wanted to remove some programs that might be causing problems with my DVD (which is another issue). But when I selected to remove certain applications (like Totem), again the Add/Remove Packages interface told me I had to have certain packages installed before it could do anything.
Huh? Why do I need packages to *remove* things.

After a little more experimentation, it seems that I can neither add nor remove *anything*. It always gives me a list of packages that I need to have available before it will update.

The result is that I can not make any changes to my system. What can be done about this?

Thank you for any help on this matter.

Dave

Try (as root) "yum search package-you-want" then "yum install package"

to remove, use "yum remove package"