Re: Can't add or remove packages in FC4

BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

--- Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave Gutteridge wrote:
I'm running FC 4 with the latest kernel.
My desire was to have the ability to input
Japanese, but before I can
even get to that, I have a more fundamental
problem. When I went to
Desktp | System Settings | Add/Remove Packages to
install multilingual
support, and selected the languages that I wanted
to isntall, it said I
had to install iiimf drivers first. I went on to
the web to see if I
could download these drivers, but despite finding
information about them
on Red Hat's site for Fedora, it wasn't as simple
as finding an RPM and
downloading it.

In any case, I later decided that I wanted to
remove some programs that
might be causing problems with my DVD (which is
another issue). But when
I selected to remove certain applications (like
Totem), again the
Add/Remove Packages interface told me I had to
have certain packages
installed before it could do anything.
Huh? Why do I need packages to *remove* things.

After a little more experimentation, it seems that
I can neither add nor
remove *anything*. It always gives me a list of
packages that I need to
have available before it will update.

The result is that I can not make any changes to
my system. What can be
done about this?
Sounds like system-config-packages may be as broken
in FC4 as it was in FC3.

Try using yum instead. If you really want a GUI, try
"yum install yumex" (yumex is in Extras) and you should then be able to install and remove packages using yumex. Another GUI for yum is called
kyum, also in Extras.

Paul.

I don't know if this is related or not but I had
a weird problem with rpm last night.

I installed the  gnuchess program from the Fedora
Extras and this is what happen:

     rpm -iv  gnuchess-*

     Everyting installed without errors.

     Tried to run program unde  KDE & Gnome
     to no avail.

Went to remove the pacakage via rpm -ev gnuchess-*
        it told me that the package was not
installed.

     Ran another   rpm -iv ...  and rpm told me that
     the package was already installed.

     Huh?

     Ran   rpm  --rebuilddb

     The rpm system still things that the package
     in not installed ( -e )  and installed ( -i )
     at the same time.

I wound up doing a  rpm -qpl gnuchess-*  and removed
the files/dirs myself by hand .... :-(

I can explain that behavior, having just gone through it
myself. One uses rpm to install and manage packages, not
files. When installing a package, one tells rpm what
file contains the package(s). The name of the file can
be *anything*. You can rename the file to whatever you
want. But the package(s) it contains remain the same.

The rpm keeps information on the packages it has installed
in a database. It is the name of the package in the data-
base which you need to use. Normally, just cut the ".rpm"
off the end of the file, and you get the package name.

When you used "rpm -qpl gnuchess-*" you asked it to remove
a package with a name ending in ".rpm" due to shell
globbing.

Mike