start up and shutdown problems with fedora 4

I am seeing an intermittent problem when I start up with Fedora 4 , the screen
goes black and the system seems to actually shut down.
If I press the power button the system shuts down without any delay.
However, when I start up again the system comes up normally.
I have not seen two back -to-back failures. It always starts the second time
if it fails on the first attempt.

I am running a dual boot system with Windows ME and FC4.

Also when I shut down I am intermittently getting apparent errors in the
KDE desktop that displays a error dialog box.
After the error dialog closes the system seems to shut down normally.

These errors seem to occur about 30 percent of the time when I start up or shutdown. Once the system is up it seems to be reasonably stable.