Re: WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

At 2:03 PM -0500 7/16/05, Jeffrey Lee wrote:

>>> Or maybe he does this to save time.  It's only a few extra
>>> commands to a
>>> *nix expert (though I'd need time to figure it out):  tar, mkdir,
>>> tar, and
>>> diff.  Should be faster than troubleshooting it instead.
>>>

>> Are there actually any config files under /home
>> which are affected by installing or upgrading?
>> Which user do they belong to?

Sure.  They belong to each user.  Look for hidden files and directories.
Lots of config and settings files in ~.  Feel free to experiment.

>Does this affect fresh installs? I am about to do a fresh install of
>core 4 on a machine and then copy data over from a rh9 install

Just be careful about what you copy over.  In general, all of /etc, and
hidden files and directories (starting with a ".") contain settings.  If
you copy an entire home directory, it will copy the hidden files as well.
The old settings may work, or maybe they won't.  If you overwrite
directories, you could lose stuff.  Better to compare and merge with the
new /etc, or a new user account, using, say, diff (man diff, -r option I
think).  This goes for the various home directories and /etc at least, but
I'm too new to *nix to know what else.