Re: Minicom has only ansi or vt102

Mark Sargent wrote:

Hi All,

ok, I'm now at work. I've confirmed that vt102 is ok. I can also confirm, that I can switch from ttyS0 to S1 and back again. Now, why is this not possible on my home PCs, FC3 and CentOS.? This is weird. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

Please use shorter lines.

So far, I've offered just a little help, because I'm not expert
at minicom, though I do use it occasionally. I was fairly certain
that minicom was not the problem. It seems to me that you
either have a problem with how minicom is set up, or you have
a problem with ttyS1 (IIRC, it switches back to ttyS0 when
you try to use ttyS1). Have you done a "ls -l" on /dev/ttyS1?

Here's what mine looks like

crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 65 Feb 23  2004 /dev/ttyS1

What, physically, is different between your serial ports? have you tried
connecting the cable to your first serial port and using that, temp?

I suggest you try looking at your .minirc.dfl file at work, and at
home, and comparing/contrasting them. Also, try using ttyS1 at
work to see whether it works for you. It's possible that you have
a hardware problem at home, though RS232 ports are pretty
forgiving. Do you have any kind of RS232 breakout box?

Mike