Re: How to update RPM's from ISO images after hard driveinstallation

Peter De Jager wrote:

<snip>

I will have a look at yum (like most other Linux things it's new to me), but
would it not be quicker to install off CD rather than downloading? I also
have a 3GB monthly cap on my DSL line (life in Africa) so I need to preserve
bandwidth. But again, I will do "man yum" and see where it takes me. Thanks.
"Quicker" depends on when you start your clock. If you define the time required as beginning with the start of acquisition of the file, then downloading and installing is far quicker than ordering the CD, awaiting its arrival, and then installing off that. Of course your bandwidth cap needs to be considered, too.

I have already tried to mount my iso images using loopback and it does work
(as in, it does mount), but it still does not solve my problem. E.g. once an
ISO is mounted and available, when I install an RPM the installer still asks
me for a CD (e.g. Disc 3) and there is still no option to browse to the
mounted ISO image (without inserting a physical CD I cannot proceed). So
what I need to know is how to point Linux to a location where the
installation files (or ISO's) are stored so that I do not get prompted to
insert CD's. Is there a config file somewhere that I need to edit?
Have you tried simply selecting CONTINUE--or is that option not available until you name a source? Often CONTINUEing in response to being asked for a CD, when your data are on the HD, works.

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.