Re: 2 NICs--One Hostname

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am So, den 10.07.2005 schrieb Eric Hines um 16:24:
I'm running FC3 on an Intel server that has two NICs on the motherboard. I'm trying to give the two NICs separate hostnames and separate DNS IPs and DNS search paths (one NIC (eth0) is intended to face the Net; the other (eth1) will run a LAN that is not intended to have any contact with the Net. Eth1 has a static IP address, and eth0 gets its automatically.) However, system-config-network will only allow me to assign one hostname to both NICs, presumably because system-config-network writes these data to the same /etc/resolv.conf.

Does anyone have any way to work around this?
A host has 1 hostname. What is set as HOSTNAME= in
/etc/sysconfig/network reflect in /etc/hosts. For the second NIC / IP
set an additional line in /etc/hosts so that you can reach the address
by name. If you run a DNS server then enter the additional name and IP
in it's forward and reverse zone files.

Alexander
Aha!  It's that last part that I'd missed in the Samba instructions.
Dank'.

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.