Re: SSH publickey auth

Am So, den 10.07.2005 schrieb Todd Wease um 2:40:

> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 23:29 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> [snip]
> > The
> > passphrase protects the pubkey, so that if someone gets the public key
> > into his hands he can not simply use it without knowing the nifty
> > sentence.
> >
> [snip]

> AFAIK the passphrase protects the private key.  The client doesn't
> authenticate using the public key.  The server sends a nonce or some
> other value encrypted with the client's public key which the client then
> decrypts with the corresponding private key and sends the server back a
> hash of this nonce/challenge.  It's possession of the private key that
> enables authentication to succeed.  Possession of a user's public key
> will not enable anyone to authenticate as that user.
>
> Todd

Thanks Todd for correcting me. I should have expressed differently, and
speaking about "pubkey" where I meant the whole process, the key pair
wasn't good. I said "public key" where I meant it. But you are right
that of course the private key - no as I said the public key - is
protected by the passphrase. The private key is the part of the key pair
which resides on the ssh client side while the public key part is placed
on the ssh server and named authorized_keys.

Alexander

Serendipity 16:06:21 up 14 days, 22:58, load average: 0.13, 0.13, 0.09