Re: Linux Backup Administration

Kenneth Porter wrote:

--On Friday, July 01, 2005 8:26 PM -0300 Pedro Fernandes Macedo <> wrote:

I'd avoid to use dump/restore.. Use tar + gzip or tar + bz2. You'll get
good compression rates and all permissions will be kept.
If you use dump , you're copying *everything* from the disk, including
the data structures used to store the data and permissions on disk, which
is a waste of space.

Oh? Dump records the files contiguously, so there's no need for any structures beyond the metadata in the inode (those same pesky things that tar saves). dump also handles sparse files (the gigantic ones that have no actual space allocated) correctly. (It may be that tar does that as well. I haven't checked recently.) dump accesses the raw disk, so it can back up files hidden by mount points. (OTOH, restore reads through the filesystem, so it can't verify files hidden by mount points.) The latest dump backs up extended attributes. Does tar do that? dump is capable of compression.

Probably I made a wrong assumption then. But I still preffer to use tar for backups for its portability.. Try to restore a filesystem from a dump backup when you dont have a machine with the same OS anymore.. (or with an OS that has the same tools)... Not very fun... (I've had to restore a dump from a solaris machine and no linux machine worked for that)...

--
Pedro Macedo