Re: Linux Backup Administration

Mike McCarty wrote:

man man
man dump
man restore

works great with DVD-RAM cartridges.
Backup is still something of a mystery to me. Hmm. I know how to use man. The documentation for dump does
not tell me what files *nix needs saved. I suppose one could
dump to a file, and use split to break it into CD size pieces, and XCDROAST
them. What is a DVD-RAM cartridge?

I suppose that Fedora has some special areas that need attendance, as well,
over and above what a generic *nix installation needs.

Mike

I'd avoid to use dump/restore.. Use tar + gzip or tar + bz2. You'll get good compression rates and all permissions will be kept. If you use dump , you're copying *everything* from the disk, including the data structures used to store the data and permissions on disk, which is a waste of space.

And I think he meant DVD-RAM disc? Because my DVD burner works with DVD-RAM and it is a disc like any DVD, except that it's golden and works pretty much like a big UDF filesystem (like those packet writing apps that windows used on CD-RW)

--
Pedro Macedo