openssh auto login

Hi All,
I upgraded a redhat 7.3 system to FC4 and one of the problems that has surfaced is that the ssh auto login feature that worked on 7.3, no longer works. According to the man page for ssh, there is a challenge/response phase to ssh authentication types where a private/public key pair are involved. A simple private/public key pair on the client and the public key on the server.

The web has mostly the same description of things to do with the only added item the ssh-agent. Ufortunately, I'm trying to get a cron job to access my server via rsync -e ssh. So can anyone clue me in to what I've missed? I made sure the challenge response feature was enabled in sshd_config, that authorized key authentication was enabled, and PubkeyAthenitication was enabled.

bill r