Re: Some thoughts for the future

BRUCE STANLEY said:

> It more that just that.  Try letting a new user
> install
> additonal packages on Linux where all kinds of RPM
> related issues occur.
>
> If you want to give them a 'STATIC' system and say
> 'NEVER MODIFY IT',  then you may have a point.
>
> The problem is, that when problems occur they have
> to know 'vi' and other command line stuff to attempt
> to correct the problem.  Yes major problems can
> occur in Windows also, but they can usually call
> Tech Support for the probuct they have bought to
> fix the problem.  With open software, you got to
> know your Unix/Linux stuff to fix it.

I'm actually pretty impressed with how Ubuntu handles this, with the
Synaptic front-end for apt-get package management.  I've yet to hear of a
basic user borking their Ubuntu system or having troubles with it.  People
who get into trouble with Ubuntu are generally those folks who try to get
away with tricks on their Ubuntu system that isn't supported in the basic
system: like compile Java from scratch or get a proprietary wireless card
to work with ndiswrapper using non-standard encryption tools, and so on.
Heh.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com