Re: ebay phishing

James T. Carver wrote:
On Saturday 28 May 2005 05:49 am, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 12:51:15 +0200
From: "Piero" <pierolists@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FW: eBay Registration Suspension
To: "'For users of Fedora Core releases'" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

I  would make see you that another ebay pishing mail was arrived.

I've found that the link is different:
http://217.24.130.62/images/index.html

It's incredible.

________________________________________ From: eBay Billing [mailto:billing@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 9:52 PM To: pierolists@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: eBay Registration Suspension

I have been getting the same emails, if it wasn't for the lack of https on the page it would be quite a good counterfeit. Hope that not to many people get caught up with that one.

James

I recognized them as phish-hooks when the anchored hot-reference (href) did not match the text, when I found a misspelled or misused verb form, when they had a totally wrong credit-card number portion, and finally when I logged onto eBay using my bookmark and everything was fine. The first time it happened, I reported the incident to eBay. The second time, I reported it to Gmail and didn't even let it download onto my system. That was two days ago and I haven't seen any more phish-hooks.

BTW--I use PwManager and the GNOME Password Generator, so that I have more passwords than I can count, each of them totally random, and never the same password for two different sites. That's the final defense, of course. Recognizing a phish-hook, not taking the bait, and reporting it to the merchant and/or your ISP or e-mail provider is your first line of defense.

Temlakos